Saturday, July 11, 2015

Best Friend For Never

We've all lost something before. That keychain from a family vacation eight years ago, your lucky basketball socks, a favorite earring, even a best friend. I know what you're thinking.. That escalated quickly. But we've all been there. I know that. You know that. Is there a particular person running through your head right now? I know I've got three faces bouncing around in my head. Three different friendships. Thousands of memories made, secrets shared, and laughs laughed. When I think about them I am reminded that there probably won't be more memories made, the laughs have now turned into tears when I realize that things won't be the same. 
I know what you're thinking. For my first blog in a while, why would I choose such a sad, and painful topic? I didn't choose this topic. God placed it on my heart, and with a particular person in mind, I am praying this will help bring them some comfort and peace in a discomforting and far from peaceful time in their life. I want to share with you three different people I have lost in my life and the three lessons that came along with the losses. 

 1) Have you ever had a best friend that you were so close to that you were practically sisters? That was how this first friendship was. We told each other everything. She always knew when something was wrong, gave me great advice, and was always there to make me laugh. As I was with her. Three years ago, there was a fallout. Some things came up, and things were blamed on each other and our friendship just simply didn't last. I was heartbroken. Especially in a time when my family was moving around with the military, I was so confused as to why God would take away the one friend I thought would be there forever. But it happened, and life must go on... But the most important thing I learned from this was that sometimes God removes people from your life simply because they can't go where He is taking you. Trust in what God is doing for you as painful as it may seem at the time. God has a purpose for you. He doesn't want to hurt you. He wants us to trust that He will take care of us and He will. Do I still think about this friend? All the time. Do I miss them? Absolutely. But we are two totally different people now. I continue to pray for her. Maybe one day God will bring her back into my life, but right now we must continue on our own road. I believe that God knows what He is doing. 

2) This next friend taught me a lesson that isn't the easiest to learn, but it is one we all need to learn. She had become my best friend in this new town. One of the first (and only) friends I made here. We'd been friends for a little over a year when we had our fallout. It was over some pity, girl drama that nobody has time for (am I right or am I right??) but I became very bitter and angry with this person. I let it consume me and eat me alive for over a year. From the beginning, we are taught to forgive.
Matthew 18:21-22 "Then Peter came and said to Him, “Lord, how often shall my brother sin against me and I forgive him? Up to seven times?” Jesus said to him, “I do not say to you, up to seven times, but up to seventy times seven." 

No, God does not mean only 490 times, but to ALWAYS forgive. 

One of my favorite verses on forgiveness is found in Matthew 5:23-24.
23 “So if you are presenting a sacrifice[f] at the altar in the Temple and you suddenly remember that someone has something against you, 24 leave your sacrifice there at the altar. Go and be reconciled to that person. Then come and offer your sacrifice to God.

Needless to say, after years of letting bitterness and hatred rule my heart. I decided to forgive this person and truly place it in God's hands. Yes, we are now friends again. And yes, I am thankful for the lesson it taught me. :)


3) Ah, last but not least and probably the most painful for me to bring up. About a year ago, I was going through a very dark and difficult time in my life, but this friend stuck with me through it all. He was the definition of what a Godly friend was, and was always there praying for me. He was able to be the light to me that I so needed at the time. But I took it all for granted. I overlooked God's blessing. 

Ephesians 5:20 
“And give thanks for everything to God the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ.”

Because of my inability to recognize and thank God for the blessing, and much needed friendship in my life. He took it away. I learned to be sure to express my thankfulness for all God has done in my life. I am blessed beyond belief and it is way too easy to get caught up in this crazy world and forget about how blessed I am. I once read a quote that said, "What if you woke up today with only what you thanked God for yesterday?" 

If that were the case, what would you have had when you woke up this morning?



No comments:

Post a Comment